What is Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS)
Most people are unaware of the number and kinds of underground utilities that run though their property.
It’s easy to find out, though. Just call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS.) It contacts the
utilities in your area, including South Central Power, so any underground utility wires, cables or
pipelines on your property can be located and properly marked. This makes for a much safer excavation
work area. There is no charge for this service.
Notify OUPS at least 48 hours in advance of digging, excluding weekends and holidays. When you call,
an OUPS representative will ask you a few questions about the property location and the project.
Accidentally striking an underground utility line is not only aggravating, it can be extremely
dangerous and expensive. If you are lucky enough to walk away from such an accident, you could receive a
bill for the repairs from the affected utility.
Don’t take chances with underground lines. Call OUPS at least two business days before you dig at
1-800-362-2764 or call 811.
Steps to a successful excavation
- Determine the limits of your excavation.
- The area being excavated is marked out in white paint (highly recommended).
- Call OUPS at least 2 working days prior to the start of excavation.
- Verify that all known facility owners have marked out their underground facilities.
- Respect and maintain the field markings for the duration of the job.
- Notify South Central Power immediately at 1-800-282-5064 if you contact, scrape, dent, nick or otherwise
damage an electric line.