South Central Power | South Central Power

Celebrating our 80th Anniversary

May 20, 2016

80th Anniversary logoMay 20, 2016

Our Beginnings

In 1936, South Central Rural Electric Cooperative was officially incorporated on May 20, 1936. Nine men from Fairfield, Perry and Pickaway counties, who each paid a $5.00 cooperative membership fee, became the founding South Central Board of Trustees.

The new board met on May 21, 1936, and adopted a code of regulations, which stated “The aim of South Central is to make electric energy available to its members at the lowest cost consistent with sound economy and good management.”

We set our first pole in September 1937 at the Glenford Ballmer farm east of State Route 37 on Coonpath Road near Lancaster.

South Central’s first line was energized on December 23, 24 and 25, 1937, and 288 members near Lancaster received electricity for the first time.

Today, thanks to the hard work of those original board members and all of the employees and board members since, we are Ohio’s largest electric cooperative, serving more than 115,000 homes, farms, schools and businesses in 24 counties.